How To Find Us
Getting to Mamallena Eco Lodge is relatively easy. Follow the instructions below and if your unsure about anything contact us with your questions and we can clarify things so your sure not to get lost.
Our Shuttle Service
We run a shuttle service from the Lodge and Panama City. The shuttle needs to be pre-booked usually by at least a day or two and is not always available, so please inquire at your earliest convenience. Normal times are as follows but we are flexible.
Panama City Mamallena Hostel/Lunas Castle Hostel to Mamallena Eco Lodge – 1pm Departure
Mamallena Eco Lodge to Panama City – 10.30am Departure
Shuttle Prices – One Way:
1-2pp – $30
3-12ppl – $15pp
From Panama City by bus:
1. Go to the main bus terminal in Albrook which is next to the huge Albrook Shopping Mall. Depending on where you are staying this should normally be $3-5 by taxi or you can take the metro bus for Albrook (Ask the driver if its for the terminal)$0.25 or take the metro train $0.35. For the bus and train you will need a metro card, you can buy these at any metro train station and other locations ask your receptionist at your hotel/hostel for the the closest location to you.
2. The bus terminal has many kiosks where you buy your onward tickets. Destinations that stop in Coronado are: Penonome – Chame – El valle de anton – San Carlos – Aguadulce – These buses do not have set departure times per say and often leave when they have enough people. I would start with Penonome as its quite popular and from experience does not seem to stop as often as some of the others so is quicker. Tell them where you are going (Coronado). The price is around $2.75 to $3.25. They will issue you with a ticket and tell you which platform/stall you need to go to.
3. To get to the bus you will need to go through the turnstyles with a cost of $0.05. The metro card you bought earlier can be used for this, if you dont have a card the guard present will normally help you out if you give them the $0.05 if they are not being helpful, most Panmanians will have a card and will help you if you ask, just have some change to hand. Go through the turnstiles and proceed to your bus. The buses are usually all clearly marked on their windshield; if you are unsure, ask one of the drivers standing in front of the bus.
4. Board the bus and wait for it to depart as mentioned this could be in a couple of minutes or 30 mins depending on how many people they have, getting this info before buying your ticket and boarding is pretty difficult unfortunately so you often just have to trust to luck. The Door Guy will normally yell out the stops before you get to your destination, but always make sure hes aware of where you want to get off and keep an eye out just in case. When entering Coronado there is a large cochez building store and gas station next to it on your right and on the left a large El Rey supermarket and Mc donalds opposite the bus station. When you are disembarking you hand the Door Guy your ticket.
5. So this is the last stop where you can buy some supplies, check your internet etc. KFC and Cochez both have free wifi and some other places too, or there is an internet cafe in the mall. There are numerous supermarkets and other stores close by including Rey, Super 99, Riba Smith and Machetazo.
6. You now need to go the Las lajas Mini Market which is where the shared collectivo mini buses run from in our direction. The store is location on the corner of the road which leads up into the mountains. Coming from Panama city you will normally have disembarked at the bus station opposite Mc donalds and in front of the mall with the machetazo supermarket, stay on the same side of the road and turn back towards Panama City, you will see a large building store (cochez) and gas station after it on your left, walk past these and there will be a small car park with a few shops (restaurant, laundromat and on the corner las lajas mini market), there will usually be benches and quite a few people waiting around, this is where the collectivo leaves from.
7. The driver in the green collectivo will drop people at the lodge which makes things much easier, the other drivers sometimes do but no guarantees, in the mean time you will need to ring us from Coronado and let us know you will be taking the next collectivo so we can pick you up from the turn off. The numbers are (507) 63798267, 67817545, 66730752 if you cant get through use cochez wifi and send a wasapp or message if you can or try ringing mamallena in Panama City on 507 3936611 and they can send me a whatsapp message which i get without problems. Mini market should have cellphone you can rent for calls.
7. You are looking for the collectivo to La Laguna. Ask locals and the drivers and they will help you. You will need to be dropped off at the turning for the new road to El Valle which is a few mintues before La Laguna. There is a small bus stop on the corner and a large new house next to it, you should see our sign on the corner. The drivers know where it is. It is approx 18km from the Pan American highway and another 3km from the turn off to the lodge.
From David or any other Location west of Coronado on the Pan American Highway
Coming from this direction you can take any bus that is going to Panama City. I expect you will be dropped near Mcdonalds in Coronado, so you will need to cross the main road and walk past cochez store and the gas station to get to Las Lajas mini market where the collectivo (normally 15 seater minibuses) leave from. Please see above for instructions from here.
The collectivos generally stop running at around 6-7pm, we advise aiming to arrive in Coronado 4pm at the latest so that you are sure to get to the lodge before dark and any problems can be dealt with, like bus delays etc. Bus tranfer times vary dramatically, depending on the bus, people on board and number of stops. But in general from Panama City you would be looking at 1.5-2hrs to Coronado. From David approx 5hrs, from Las Lajas 4hrs, Pedasi/Playa Venoe 5-6hrs, Santiago 2-3hrs, Santa Catalina 5-6hrs. These are all approx and just give you an idea.
Taxi from Coronado to Eco Lodge is around $25-30. From El Valle it is $20-25. There is an alternative option from El Valle by bus and car, please email us for more info.
Directions by Car
From Panama City:
To get to us drive on the Panamerican highway towards Santiago and about an hour from the city you will reach Coronado. From Coronado (Las Lajas) you take the road to La Laguna which is next to Las Lajas mini market (on the right hand side just after you go under a footbridge that crosses the Panamerican highway right at the entrance to Coronado), this is next to the large gas station which is next to the cochez building store, if you see the gas station and cochez store you have missed the turning and will need to turn around. The mini market has a car park in front of it and some other small shops next door. This is all on the right if coming from Panama City. You take the road to La Laguna for 18km roughly, it may seem like longer, be careful a few pot-holes on route. You will come to a small village with a speed bump and a school on the left next to it, also a mini market and then another speed bump and about 1km past this village is a turnoff to the left where there is a sign saying mamallena eco lodge 2.5km, there is a white bus stop on the corner and a big new house next to that, we are 2.5km down this road on the left hand side, you will cross a bridge at the bottom of the hill first and we are approx 200 meters after the bridge on the left, there will be another sign. Any problems give me a ring on one of the following numbers (507) 63798267, 67817545, 66730752
To get to us drive towards Panama City, you go past the turn off for El Valle and then through a small town called San Carlos and Coronado is about 8km after this. As you drive through Coonado you will pass Mcdonalds on your right and then Rey supermarket on your right as well. You will be taing the next left which is just after a gas station on your left. After turning left which takes you onto the road for La Laguna. You take the road to La Laguna for 18km roughly, it may seem like longer, be careful a few pot-holes on route. You will come to a small village with a speed bump and a school on the left next to it, also a mini market and then another speed bump and about 1km past this village is a turnoff to the left where there is a sign saying mamallena eco lodge 2.5km, there is a white bus stop on the corner and a big new house next to that, we are 2.5km down this road on the left hand side, you will cross a bridge at the bottom of the hill first and we are approx 200 meters after the bridge on the left, there will be another sign. Any problems give me a ring on one of the following numbers (507) 63798267, 67817545, 66730752
The closest point of reference on google maps is the San Carlos Laguna about 15 minutes away, it will not help you get here but gives you an idea of where we are.